The SBG6580-2 default Wi-Fi credentials, wireless name, and security password are listed on a sticker on the back of the device. The wireless name, also known as SSID (Service Set Identification), is used to uniquely identify the wireless network. The wireless key, also known as the wireless security key, encryption key, or passphrase, is a password that allows wireless clients, such as smartphones and laptops, to join the secured wireless network. This document describes changing the default wireless name and password using the Quick Start Wizard in the SBG6580-2.
To Change the Default Wi-Fi Name and Password
- Launch a Firefox or Safari browser. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key.
NOTE: A browser message on Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera, may appear when accessing the Web Manager. The message includes 192.168.01 uses an unsupported protocol and ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH. The Web Manager uses an earlier version of the TLS protocol and does not match the version allowed by the web browser. Safari browsers on Apple PC and mobile devices are not impacted. The workaround to access the Web Manager with a PC is to use the Firefox browser and set the TLS version to 1. For workaround instructions refer to article # 19435 - 192.168.0.1 uses an unsupported protocol.
- A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to bypass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
- On the Login page, enter admin or a customized username in the Username field.
- Enter password or a customized password in the Password field.
NOTE: On later versions of the SBG6580-2, the Wi-Fi Security Key is used as the default admin password printed on the bottom white label. For assistance with Web Manager Access, refer to article # 18752 – SBG6580-2: Web Manager Access.
- Click the Login button. The Home page will appear.
- On the Home page, click the Launch Quick Start Wizard link. The Quick Start Wizard begins.
- Click the Next button on the Welcome page.
- On Wi-Fi Network Name & Passphrase page, enter a new wireless network name in the Network Name (SSID) field. The name needs to be 1 to 32 alphanumeric characters long.
- Enter a new wireless password in the Passphrase field. The passphrase needs to be 8 to 64 characters long.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Next button on the Wi-Fi Security Configuration page.
- Click the Next button on the User Security Configuration page.
NOTE: It is not required to change the admin username and password in order to change the default Wi-Fi credentials. It is recommended to change the default admin login credentials; checkmark the option to make changes.
- Review the Wi-Fi credentials on the Review Settings page. Then click the Apply button to save the settings.
NOTE: It may take up to one minute to save.
- On the Setting Applied page, write down or press the Print button to save the new Wi-Fi credentials. Click the Exit button when finished.