In some cases, the SBG6700-AC gateway may need to be reset to its factory default state, and clear all of the previous settings. If the gateway's LAN IP address or admin password is lost, the only option is to reset the Gateway. The gateway can be reset back to the factory default by pressing the Reset Switch and or by logging in to the web interface. This document describes how to reset the SBG6700-AC to factory defaults by pressing the Reset Switch and or logging into the GUI (Graphical User Interface).
CAUTION: This process will clear all configurations and should be used as the last resort. Performing a Factory Reset will erase any configuration changes that have been made and requires the gateway to be reconfigured for Internet access.
NOTE: Resetting the cable modem may take 5 to 30 minutes.
Factory Reset With The Reset Switch
- Carefully insert the tip of a pen or an unwound paperclip into the reset switch and press on to it.
- Hold down the Reset switch for 5 -10 seconds and release it.
NOTE: To assure the gateway factory defaults, hold the reset switch for 5 -10 seconds. The indicators are that all LEDs turn off.
Factory Reset in the Web Interface
- Launch a Firefox or Safari browser. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key.
NOTE: A browser message on Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera, may appear when accessing the Web Manager. The message includes 192.168.01 uses an unsupported protocol and ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH. The Web Manager uses an earlier version of the TLS protocol and does not match the version allowed by the web browser. Safari browsers on Apple PC and mobile devices are not impacted. The workaround to access the Web Manager with a PC is to use the Firefox browser and set the TLS version to 1. For workaround instructions refer to article # 19435 - 192.168.0.1 uses an unsupported protocol.
- A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to bypass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
- On the Login page, enter admin or a customized username in the Username field.
- Enter password or a customized password in the Password field.
NOTE: On later versions of the SBG6700-AC, the Wi-Fi Security Key is used as the default admin password printed on the bottom white label. For assistance with Web Manager Access, refer to article # 18754 – SBG6700-AC: Web Manager Access.
- Click the Login button. The Home page will appear.
- Move the mouse cursor over Status on the top menu, and select the Security sub-link. The Status - Security page will appear.
- On the Status - Security page:
a. Restore Factory Defaults - Select Yes, to factory default the gateway.
b. Click the Apply button.
NOTE: A small window may appear with the following message: This action will restore factory default settings. Please reboot the modem for the new settings to take effect. If this message appears, click the OK button.
- Move the mouse cursor over Status on the top menu, and select Configuration. The Status - Configuration page appears.
- On the Status - Configuration page, click the Reboot button.