NOTE: This article applies to the SURFboard Wi-Fi Cable Modems (G34, G36, G54, SBG8300).
The SURFboard Central app guides the SURFboard Wi-Fi cable modems installation from unboxing the device to getting online with the Internet service provider. Product registration is automated for warranty coverage in the SURFboard Central App. The app has easy access to Wi-Fi management, Parental Control, and FAQs to help with any troubleshooting and optimizations. This document describes how to set up the SURFboard Central app with SURFboard Wi-Fi cable modems.
The SURFboard Central app is available on both App Store and Google Play store at no charge.
SURFBoard Central App Setup
- Wi-Fi enabled on iPhone or Android device (mobile or tablet) with Internet access.
- Download the SURFboard Central app from the app store on an Apple or Android mobile device.
- Tap the SURFboard icon then tap the Get Started button. The Allow notification pop-up will appear.
- It is required to enable Location Services in the SURFboard Central app to perform first-time setup installation. The steps and screens in iOS may vary from Android OS. For more information on the location services or change the Location Service in the mobile device settings, refer to article # 18476 - SURFboard Central: Location Services.
For iOS: Tap the Allow While Using the app button and then tap the Continue button.
Allow Once - Location services are enabled during this instance and will be asked again when the app is hard closed and reopened.
Allow While Using the app - Location services are enabled only when the app is in use.
For Android: Tap the Continue button. Tap the Allow button on the access device's location services and access photos, media, and files on your device message prompts. These permission are mandatory to perform first-time setup installation of the mAX router.
- Tap the SURFboard Gateway ISP cable connected with Integrated Wi-Fi box, then tap the Next button.
- Tap a box to select the model, then tap the Next button.
- Choose one of the following options:
Start Install - Choose this option for out-of-the-box first-time setup or after a factory reset of the Wi-Fi cable modem. This article provides details steps for first-time setup. Proceed to the next step to continue.
Click here if you have previously installed with our legacy App - Choose this option if the SBG8300 is managed by the SURFboard Manager app. Click here to migrate the SURFboard Central app with the SBG8300.
Click here if you have previously installed with Web based UI portal - Select this option if the Wi-Fi cable modem was previously setup in the Web Manager. Click here to continue with this setup.
- If this is a first-time setup tap the Sign Up button.
NOTE: If the gateway was setup previously, enter the email address that was used to setup the gateway into the Email address field, then tap the Sign In button. Click here to proceed to step 11.
- Enter a new email address into the Email ID field for the SURFboard account.
- Enter a first name in the First Name field and enter a last name in the Last Name field.
- Tap the box for I agree to the Terms and Conditions, then tap the Sign Up button.
- A verification code email will be sent to the email used. Enter the verification code into the blank field.
NOTE: Tap the Resend link to resend the verification code email if not received.
- Once the code is verified, tap the Next button.
- Tap the Let's Start button.
- Remove the existing modem/gateway, connect the coaxial cable to the new SURFboard Gateway.
- Connect the power supply to the SURFboard Gateway and plug it into an outlet, then tap the Next button.
- Tap the box for the Internet Service Provider that is used, then tap the Next button.
NOTE: If the Internet Service Provider is not listed tap on Other.
- It is required to activate the SURFboard Gateway using the HFC MAC Address and the serial number located at the bottom of the device with the Internet service provider.
Contact Service Provider - Tap to call the Internet service provider and activate the SURFboard Gateway.
Self Activate - Tap to use the self activation steps and the Internet service provider's URL to activate the SURFboard Gateway.
Skip - Tap to proceed as the SURFboard Gateway has been activated.
CAUTION: If this is the first time setup, the Gateway must be activated with the Internet service provider or the SURFboard Central app setup will not complete successfully. The HFC MAC address is required when activating a new Gateway.
- Wait 5 - 10 minutes until the Online LED is solid blue or green, then tap the I'm Online button.
- Success, tap the Next button.
- Tap the Scan button to scan the QR code on the bottom of the SURFboard Gateway.
NOTE: To enter the Wi-Fi credentials manually tap the Setup Manually button, then click here to proceed.
- Tap the Scan button.
- The application would like to access the camera, tap the OK button.
- SURFboard Central needs permission to access the mobile device's camera to scan the barcode.
For iOS: Tap the OK button to provide permission for SURFboard Central to access the camera.
For Android: Tap the Allow button to provide SURFboard Central access to take pictures and record video.
- Scan the QR code located on the bottom device with the mobile device.
- The Wi-Fi Name and Password are filled in. Tap the Submit button.
NOTE: If the Setup Manually button was tapped previously, enter the Wi-Fi Name and Password located on the bottom white sticker, then tap the Submit button.
- Tap the Join button to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
NOTE: Android devices will automatically connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- The mobile device is connecting to the Gateway.
NOTE: If the Wi-Fi Communication Failure appears, ensure the SURFboard Gateway is activated with the Service Provider and Online.
- Enter the distorted text into the box then tap the Continue button.
NOTE: The Security Check screen only applies to the SURFboard Gateways (G34, G36, SBG8300).
- Success, tap the Continue button.
- The SURFboard Gateway is being registered for warranty coverage automatically.
- Congratulations, tap the Continue button.
- The Wi-Fi management features are being setup, tap the Get Started button.
- Tap the Skip link.
- Tap the Do It Now button to change the default Wi-Fi credential. To change the Wi-Fi credential another time tap the Later link, then click here to proceed.
- Enter a wireless network name in the Network Name (SSID) field. The SSID Character must be between 1 to 32 characters long.
- Enter a wireless password in the Password field. The password needs to be 8 to 63 characters long. Use upper and lower case letter, numbers, and symbols for strength.
- Tap the Save Changes button.
- Tap the Join button.
NOTE: Android devices will automatically connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- The Network screen will refresh with the new Network Name (SSID), tap the Home link to return to the Home screen.
- The Home screen displays the My Network, My Devices, My Experiences, and Network Speed.
- Connect all clients to the Gateway.