This document describes the installation process for the TG862 Cable Gateway.
CAUTION: To better secure your network, ARRIS recommends to change the default Admin user name & password and the default Wireless password immediately after connecting to the Internet.
Before beginning the installation, check that the following items were included with the TG862 Cable Gateway:
- Power Cord
- Ethernet Cable
- Battery (may not be included)
- Quick Installation Guide
- End User License Agreement
- 75-ohm coaxial cable with F-type connectors is required to connect the TG862 to the nearest cable
- Cable service must be activated with an Internet Service provider to access the Internet and other
- To avoid damaging the cable modem with static electricity, always first connect the coaxial cable to the grounded cable TV wall outlet.
- Before connecting or disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the cable modem or PC, always touch the coaxial cable connector on the cable modem to release any static charges.
- Postpone TG862 installation until there is no risk of thunderstorm or lighting activity in the area.
- To avoid potential shock, always unplug the power cord from the wall outlet or other power source before
disconnecting it from the TG862 rear panel.
- To prevent overheating the TG862, do not open the unit or block the ventilation holes on the sides of the unit.
- Wipe the cable modem with a clean, dry cloth. Never use cleaning fluid or similar chemicals. Do not spray cleaners directly on the unit or use forced air to remove dust.
To Install TG862
- If the modem includes a battery, install the battery with the following procedure:
a. Press down and pull back on the latch holding the battery door (on the bottom of the modem).
b. Hold the battery pack so that the guides on the battery align with the slots on the modem, and slide the battery into the bay.
NOTE: Batteries will not insert completely into the telephony modem if not oriented correctly. The battery should slide into the bay without significant force. Line up the guides on the battery with the slots in the battery bay.
c. Push the battery pack into the bay until it seats into place. When taking the battery out of the Telephony Modem, position finger in the battery opening area and use leverage to dislodge the battery while pulling it straight back.
d. Place the hinge tabs of the battery door into the receiver slots inside the modem battery compartment on the
opposite end of the battery opening slot. Rotate the door toward the unit until the latch snaps back into place.
- Connect the phone cable from one of the telephone ports of the TG862 to the telephone base.
WARNING: Do not connect the modem directly to the house telephone jacks. Connecting this unit to the home’s existing telephone wiring should only be performed by a professional installer. Physical connections to the previous telephone service provider must be disconnected and the wiring must be checked. Cancellation of telephone service alone is not adequate. Failure to do so may result in loss of service and/or permanent damage to the modem.
- Connect the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port of the TG862 to the Ethernet port of the computer.
- Connect the coaxial cable from the cable outlet or splitter to the cable port of the TG862. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
- Plug the power cord from the power port of the TG862 to the electrical outlet. This will turn on the TG862.
NOTE 1: Allow the gateway up to 15 minutes to find and lock on the appropriate communications channels after the modem is on.
NOTE 2: The power cord does not need to be unplugged when the gateway is not in use.